Thursday, May 30, 2013

Ode to A Mama

WARNING:  this post isn't particularly funny or snarky or witty or whatever else you may be expecting but if you want to know true mother daughter love then by all means, continue on.

How do you say thank you to a woman who has given up her life for you? I don't think you can but I'll still try.

For those of you who don't know, a couple months ago in October my mom suffered from a massive stroke.  It happened when she was home alone running--on the treadmill of all places.  It took away her ability to move, to feel, to hear.  In a nutshell it was scary.  She is less than 50 years old.  She's not a smoker.  She was healthy (remember the treadmill?).  She had no high cholesterol or blood pressure.  It snuck up on her when she least expected it and it almost took her life.  But gosh darn it, that woman is a fighter and she decided she needed to stick around.  Looking at her MRI she should be a vegetable at best but if you saw her today you would never suspect a thing.  Doctors marveled and many cried when they saw her.  There were those who were brought to remembrance of God and His hand in all things and more who prayed to Him in gratitude that He didn't take her yet.

It was the first time that I as her child had the opportunity to take care of the woman who had taken care of me these many years.  What a humbling experience to help someone you love who is completely dependent on you.  From doing her hair to fixing her dinner or reading to her I wanted to be there to help her.  From that experience a bond grew between us and made our love and dependence on each other stronger.

A few days after and still a smile on that face of hers.

I'm happy to report that she's still a fighter and continues to improve every day.  She regained movement although her left side is still void of feeling.  She speaks well and walks without a problem.  She's our miracle.

Now with all the craziness of life happening around her including my getting married my mom has yet again turned into a superhero. She never stops going. She never stops giving. She never stops loving. I feel like lately I may have turned into an ungrateful little snot so I want to say thank you mom.  You have always been there for me, and have always had my best interests at heart.  You are my champion and I am forever indebted to you.

Maybe sometimes we don't see eye to eye on everything but love is a powerful thing and it transcends all of that.  It's unconditional. It never ends. I love you.


The woman herself 7 months after.

P.S. Baby you got such great shoes. :)

1 comment: